Autumn Veg and Lentil Salad
We love salads in summer. Fresh, crunchy and full of flavour! But if you’re not a fan in winter, we don’t blame you. They hardly feel satisfying when you could be eating rich pastas, tasty slow cooked stews and other comfort foods that warm your belly.
But why not make salads a thing all year around? There are no rules when it comes to a good salad and this one is certainly going to keep you satisfied even when the winter chill sets in. Packed full of seasonal flu fighting superfoods, using a combination of these ingredients is going to be a great natural (and cheap!) way to boost your immune system and overall health.
500g pumpkin, washed and chopped into bite-sized pieces
2 beetroots, washed and chopped into bite-sized pieces
1 red onion, chopped into cubes
2 whole garlic cloves, skin on
2 tsp ground turmeric
2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp black pepper
2 tbsp coconut oil
2 handfuls rocket leaves, rinsed
1 can lentils, rinsed and drained
½ avocado, peeled and cubed
½ cup flaked almonds or pistachios
50g feta, crumbled
1 cup cooked quinoa, optional
2 tbsp olive oil
Sea salt and pepper
¼ cup fresh parsley, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 160C.
- Arrange the pumpkin, beetroot, onion and garlic cloves in a roasting pan. Sprinkle with turmeric, cumin, cinnamon and pepper. Drizzle with coconut oil. Bake for 1 hour until the pumpkin is starting to brown, and very soft on the inside.
- Meanwhile, in a serving bowl, place the rocket, lentils, avocado, nuts and feta and quinoa (if desired).
- Remove the vegetables from the oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes.
- Trim the tips from the garlic cloves and squeeze the garlic into a small jar. Add the olive oil, salt and pepper and stir briskly until well combined.
- Add the roast vegetables to the other ingredients and toss to combine.
- Drizzle with garlic infused olive oil, sprinkle with parsley and serve.